Friday 8 February 2008

Nomadic...\nō-ˈma-dik\;roaming about from place to place aimlessly, frequently, or without a fixed pattern of movement.
An odd sort of reality and sense of normal these days living in London... Depends on the angle of perspective within me in determining blessings in the midst of such movement.
Since my introduction to YL some fourteen years ago, my abilities to both adapt and adjust have increased immensely. We, in the Young Life world, spend quite a bit of time in camp-like situations and learn how to survive with little surprisingly well. : ) I must say that these skills are most certainly ones that have been significant in molding my "default", as I like to call it. (Or, I also think of 2 Cor. 5.17..."the old has gone, the new has come." I believe as the Lord settles deeper into my heart, He continues to fashion the "new" within me.) In my life as a nomad at present, I am finding how true it is that the Lord is faithful, as He continues to provide blessing without fail. ("No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 1 Cor. 10.13.) Were I to be transparent of the current "temptations" that abound all the more without a consistent nest, it might be what we would deem a "laundry list". Though I do value transparency and honesty, I will spare you the entirety of my catalog. As mentioned in entries previous, having my nest to live in and in which to retreat is a key component of my health.
"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me." (Ps. 139.1)
And He does. (full stop)
And now back to the view from which I choose to look into my current lifestyle, where I spy an advantage to unpredictability...
He is quite aware that hopping to and fro from house to house is not my most desired way to live; however, He also knows and is assured of what and how much I can handle. One of the other things he "knows" (and created in me) is my desire to live life with people and to grow deeper in relationship. Without this need for other peoples' shelter, life for me would have continued to be a bit more solitary. (The other laundry list I can make you is one of blessings I feel drenched in as this winter unfolds.)
The news this week...I am, indeed, the varsity girls softball coach for the upcoming spring season. A bit anxiously, quite pensively, and excited exceedingly, I step up to this task. Our season begins with tryouts the last week of March. The girls keep telling me that they are pumped, and I am formulating a plan that I hope will lead us to victory and loads of fun.
Some of you may have seen (and if you haven't, go check it out) that Young Life has gone through a re-branding recently.
Our new tagline? "You were made for this." I dig it. This afternoon as I laid down for a quick nap on the couch, I put the book I had been reading on the floor. The new logoed sticker I was given at our All-Staff Conference fell out of the front of it. As my eyes moved across the tagline, I thought,
"Yep, I was made for this". The grammar-minded part of me has a hard time with the open-endedness of this sentence. But, you know...in this case, open-ended is spot on. Wow, the laundry lists just keep coming, as I think of all the definitions of "this". Specifically, today, I thought... "this" equals building relationships with kids, knowing more about the Lord's character, and showing up to take steps.
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10.10)
"I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete."(John 15.11)

No comments:

Post a Comment