Wednesday 6 February 2008

Hiya. Though I typically try to avoid leading off any writing with an apology, I do feel it necessary in this case. I realize that my last post was in mid-December prior to the holidays, and I am sorry for my absence. Quite a bit has unfolded since then, and in my chaotic world, though I have thought countless times about sitting down to record events, it simply has just not happened.
Firstly (as they would say here in England), my laptop has died, I believe. At present, I have a computer savvy friend trying to bring it back to life, but I must honestly say that I have little hope. Therefore, you will be lacking a pictoral view of life since December here in this post.

So, Mom and Dad journeyed across the pond for both Christmas and New Year's Day. We had a great time walking and riding around London seeing the sites and taking may pictures courtesy of Dad. Our two weeks here was capped off by making our way down to the Thames to see the fireworks to ring in 2008. Wow! We stood on Waterloo Bridge for three hours in the cold and drizzle to hold our spot in order to have the best view possible. It was quite a show to behold, though a touch frustrating that the cloud cover overhead was quite thick. It acted as a blanket and held all the smoke from the fireworks down making it impossible to see the brightly colored lights being shot off of the London Eye, which was disappointing at times. The real adventure began as we tried to make our way home from these festivities. May I skip to the end and say that we stepped foot inside my flat at half past four in the morning?!! Yes. We walked, and walked...jumped on a bus, sat waiting for traffic to move, went down to wait for the tube and then opted out due to crazy drunken folks and train delays...got on another bus, walked home. (Sigh), my body is tired just re-living it here for you...wow! "Once in a lifetime", became the mantra of the night amongst us all-me, Courtney, Mom, and Pop.
The parents Brinkley and I returned to Arkansas on the 2nd of January. I made a quick trip to Fayetteville where I got to see a group of you guys at Angie and Jenny's ONE NIGHT ONLY gathering for me. I was so blessed by that time as I cried with laughter at each person there. Oh, how I miss my friends! (I am sure I will return once again to this sentiment in the near future to tell you how I continue to learn daily the importance of community...how much more applicable and tangible are so many bits of Scripture these days!) You are all hilarious in your own way, and I love that I know you all well enough to understand what makes you tick. Thank you for being my friends and for being so excited to see me! It delighted my soul, and I only wish the time could have been longer with each of you. : )
From 6 January to 13 January, Orlando hosted me and around 3500 of my Young Life colleagues from literally around the world. We had a fantastically enriching, and of course, hilarious week at our all-staff conference we have every 4 years. What a treat to see the sun after being in England where the light is sparse! I got to see staff friends from years before and spent time with my fellow England staff family away from tasks in our normal world.
Finally, I flew back to Arkansas for a few days to sort out some financial matters both in my YL world and in my personal sphere and to see my sweet nieces a bit more before journeying back to Londontown.
In retrospect, I must say that this most recent time away from London felt a bit rushed and not as restful as I would have hoped. I needed more time in Fayetteville, but I will be able to make up for that lack of time this summer. I suppose the holidays rarely are completely laid back and restful, are they? Loads of people to see and much travel to be done is the typical story for most of us. I hope your holiday time was filled with laughter and good times with your friends and family!
We will call this the catch-up post. A more current one to follow...
Cheers,
kb

No comments:

Post a Comment