Thursday 13 October 2005

Greetings from England!
I have been here for two days now, I guess, depending on your time zone. It is currently 4:30 a.m. in Arkansas where most of you are fast asleep. Here it is 10:30 a.m. I have had some trouble getting my computer hooked up here, but all is well now. I am back in contact with the world outside of Thorpe Surrey, the borough of London where I am currently residing.
Ok, let's see...
The first day here is a bit of a blur what with the massive amount of jetlag I was battling. But, I will give you a rundown as I remember it...
First of all, I was en route for approximately 18 hours. Good night nurse! All the flights were fine; the planes got progressively bigger from Little Rock to London, so that was excellent!
There was a gentlemen (formality intentional) on my London flight that wore a suit through the length of the flight. I mean, he didn't even take of his jacket or loosen his tie. I just knew he was a Brit. Later when we deplaned, I heard him chatting with his wife...suspicion confirmed. Welcome to England where people can be very "proper".
The plane could not pull up to a gate, so they sent out busses to transport us to the terminal. I was a bit worried about getting hit as we drove on the left side (strong side) of the road. I then proceeded to laugh out loud to myself as I realized we were driving on the correct side. The guy next to me looked at me funny. So, what else is new? Tate, the Area Director here, and I walked into the parking garage at the airport, and I proceeded to get into the "passenger side" of the Honda. "Did you want to drive?" he asked. Yeah, funny. : )
Driving in Europe is crazy...weird signs, left side, yield signs that say "give way"...
(I am now sitting in a staff meeting with Tate, Brooke, and Kerry, who are cracking me up! Oh, so very Young Life.)
We went to Starbucks (there is one on every corner, by the way) and to Steins, the grocery store. We came home and made fajitas. It wasn't long until I went to the shower and to bed.
I'll update later about my day yesterday. I got into the city to The American School of London. It got me excited about the potential there!
Thanks for your prayers, friends! I have definitely felt and am feeling them...I will post some pics later today. I have yet to see many sights, so my pics are limited to ASL kids playing volleyball. Soon...
kb

No comments:

Post a Comment