Friday 14 October 2005

Hi again! I will see if I have enough time on my computer battery to get in two days worth of info...no promises. : )
Wednesday was a full day here. I got to go to the city, London, for the afternoon! From the Virginia Water train station, which is about 5 min. from Brooke and Tate's house and within walking distance of Kerry (who accompanied me into the city)'s house, it takes approximately 40 minutes to get to the Waterloo tube stop. We got on the tube, which is amazingly clean with upholstered seats even (much nicer than the subways of NYC, I must say), and got off at St. John's Wood where we were met by Susan, a woman who has kids who attend The American School of London (ASL). She directed us a couple of streets overto the High Street where we found, of course, a Starbucks. We sat and chatted about the future potential for YL @ ASL. Her family is American, but they have lived all over the world for many years. And, I do mean all over the world. I cannot remember all the places having spoken with so many people who have lived in so many places since I have arrived. It truly is amazing! "Where are you from?" is not a question that works here. Perhaps, "How long have you lived here?" or "Where did you live prior to moving here?" are better conversation starters.
Susan took us to ASL and checked us in as her guests. I will post a picture of my nametag that I took. (I just thought it was cool that it said my name and ASL on it.) We watched the jv and varsity girls play volleyball. The jv coach, Julie, came over and sat with us during the varsity game. She also wanted to know more info about YL started potentially @ ASL. Julie introduced me to the Athletic Director, a Brit, who feels like there might be a spot for me to help assist with the softball team. This coaching opportunity would be a huge "in" to the school since it is very secure and cautious about who comes on campus. ASL is a wealthy school with lots of government official's kids attending, not to mention celebrity's kids. (Laura and Jro, Christian Slater's kids went to ASL while he was over here filming a movie for a semester.)
I was encouraged by each conversation I had at the school and involving YL coming there. I am thankful those encounters sprang up. Meeting Susan and Julie were both things that came up unexpectedly this week. The Lord is big!
We finished up the evening at The Rose & Crown, a pub just a few minutes from Brooke and Tate's house. I ate fish and chips and drank J2O, this apple raspberry juice drink that was very yummy!
Ok, the battery is dying, and I know you are needing a snack after sitting here reading so long. I'll get more to you soon...
Thanks, friends!
kb

No comments:

Post a Comment