Tuesday 5 November 2013

respond.

creativity is a response.  
-michael card, scribbling in the sand

while reading a book this week about being an artist, this sentence struck a chord.  
it is one of those books that as I read, I sort of nod with every page, holding affirmations of truths I know and believe, as well.  
and, then,
all of a sudden, 
a phrase rings out a new note of energizing encouragement.  

I tend to tell people in my "life script" that I am not terribly creative.
I am, without doubt, more of an imitator than an innovator.  
my creativity does not necessarily start and stop with me producing something from scratch.  
this form of expression, however, is no less creative than those who sit with a blank piece of paper and formulate or generate something "new".  

I am not sure I have ever applied the truth I believe here in
ecclesiastes 1.9,
"there is nothing new under the sun", 
to the world of creating. 
this newly found realization has me feeling a bit more empowered to embrace impulses to make my inspirations into realities. 

whether crafting, concocting, or arranging, I can only describe my need to express my ideas as a compulsion.  when I squelch this desire, I feel out of sorts and less like myself.  
and, you know what?
when I enter into my mindful, imaginative state of being, I lose my script.  
lately, I feel like life just might be richer without quite so much rehearsal.
and, though this state of being is mostly void of boundary, it feels oddly...
safe...
in that it belongs 
to me 
only.  
what I create has my personal fingerprint placed upon it.  
yes, it is personal.

"whatever anything is, is ought to begin by being personal."
-kathleen kelly, you've got mail

be clever.
do what you do.
respond.

this guy knows a little about creativity... 
have a listen to the clever.


cheers,
kb.


No comments:

Post a Comment