Monday 25 February 2013

be yourself.

often we want to be somewhere other than where we are, or even to be someone other than who we are.  we tend to compare ourselves constantly with others and wonder why we are not as rich, as intelligent, as simple, as generous, or as saintly as they are.  such comparisons make us feel guilty, ashamed, or jealous.  it is very important to realize that our vocation is hidden in where we are and who we are.  we are unique human beings, each with a call to realize in life what nobody else can, and to realize it in the concrete context of the here and now.

we will never find our vocations by trying to figure out whether we are better or worse than others.  we are good enough to do what we are called to do.  be yourself!

~henri nouwen

years ago, my friend and mentor, mike connected me with a daily meditation email list to the above author.  mr. nouwen's foundation sends bite-sized food for thought to those who subscribe.  I am constantly blessed by quickly ingesting these wise words from a man who had such great insight and faith.

do you ever have moments when you feel like you have been awoken in your spirit?  times when you may not have even known you were asleep or simply going through the motions of work or relationship?
this week I have had a few of said moments, and I thought of this afore quoted meditation.  when those moments strike, I feel like, well...
myself.
I feel I am the best version of me.
like I am using my gifts.
like human connection and kindness is occurring.

a clarifying feeling.
joy.
vulnerability.

and, I stop.
I stop because I am struck with the absolute assurance that these moments are beyond me.
these encounters are supernatural, poignant, important, and life-infusing.

again, the most beautiful, intimate awareness I possess at these instances is that I am being...
me.
the best version of me.
not someone else or someone utterly unrecognizable to my inner.
me.

perhaps the most heartwarming, life-altering, intense, precious, loving, tender, sweet, personal part of the gospel to me is that the Lord is working to make me an improved version of me.
I believe He created me.  I also believe He is incapable of making mistakes.
(rom. 9.20-I remember this verse shaking me to my core one day when I first read it in college.  yipes!)

I try and try.
I aspire and plan.
I beat myself up when I feel I have missed the mark.

when I breathe and simply show up, beautiful moments occur.

I pray your week is full of 'being yourself' moments.
as longing to be the best, deepest version of you is the proper outlook, in my opinion.

cheers,
kb.

No comments:

Post a Comment