Saturday 21 June 2008

Ok, so are you ready for this? I am fairly sure I can answer for you all when I say, "No, you are not". This morning, yes, this morning I was awoken by a chipmunk running across my head. Yes, this is what I said...a chipmunk. At the time I thought it was a rat. I am still not 100% convinced that it was not a rat, actually, but other sightings later in the day were of a chipmunk in the house so I guess I have to go with it. This rodent woke me from a dead sleep by running across my left ear. (I am laughing right now just thinking about it. I cannot truly believe it happened still.) I swatted "it" away and got out of bed to go into my other housemates room calmly, completely groggy. I opened their door and said quite calmly, "I am not 100% sure, but I think a mouse just ran across my head". "What?!", they both squealed. Still trying to fully wake up and come to terms with what had just happened, I tried to decipher if it could have been my imagination or just my hair in my face. No, I concluded. It felt a bit like a spider of something because of its quickness but had a bit of weight to it. Definitely a mouse. Marilyn, one of my roommates, and I braved re-entering my room, and she began to put my sofa bed back together. I had stacked the cushions over in the corner of the room when undoing the sofa bed. Marilyn peered into the sofa and saw nothing as we both chatted about how ridiculous it was that we were looking for said mouse, as if we knew what to do with it. We had both just confirmed that we would scream and run if we did find it when...as Marilyn picked up a cushion, there it was! It moved in what could only be called a scurry across the cushion and disappeared. We followed suit and scurried screaming into the other room. I decided the safest place was standing on Marilyn's bed. OH MY WORD! Needless to say, I have found a new place to lay my head tonight.
As I walked around camp today, people continually asked me to tell the story and inquired about my well-being. : ) So hilarious...and completely...shiver/shudder-inducing. Later in the day, the people staying upstairs spotted him in their bit of the house, trapped him, and he got out away out of the house. I drug some summer staff guy who worked in the kitchen down to the house later in the day with me to watch me pack my suitcase. Just a couple of hours ago, I heard Mr. Chipmunk had returned to the house. I knew better than to stay down there. : ) Just had to share. If I see one and can get a good picture tomorrow, I will post it. I mean, it is not shocking to have critters running amuck when you are at camp in the middle of the nature. I see them around camp all the time, but running across your face? No thanks! Ha! : )
kb

No comments:

Post a Comment