Monday 21 April 2008




Happy to report that the sickness has gone. I am currently sitting, as you can see, in the staff lounge at school awaiting three o'clock, otherwise known as time to load the bus for the trek out to softball practice. I am also pleased to announce, speaking of softball, that we won our first game last Thursday by a score of 37-nil. (That means "nothing" or "0", for all you non-Europeans. We say "nil" over here. There is a bit of local flavour for you.) I am loving my new computer which enables me to take pictures as you see of myself sitting wherever I am. Technology is amazing.
I spent last week babysitting for two different families with two very different family dynamics. The first job required me to just be a present adult with two kids, ages 13 and 16. Easy peasy (bit of England, for you). The latter part of the week had me playing every video game on the Wii known to man with a 6 year-old while his 12 year-old brother entertained himself by playing computer games. I was worn out from game-playing by the time I left yesterday. Oh, the energy of youngsters! Amazing how the kiddos change as they age. I saw it firsthand this week. When they are little, they want you with them doing everything! As they grow up, they are more content on their own. I had a great time with all the kids, but I must say that I am glad to have my own world back in my control. Interesting how I have felt so adrift this past semester when in fact I am quite in control of my world more than I realized. God is good and faithful to bring perspective...all the time.
I don't know as I have much to report of any interest in regards to British-isms this week. As mentioned, I have been playing "mom" to kids, playing footie (a.k.a. soccer), and coaching softball.
We did have a committee meeting this morning with some moms that I know, as well as a few moms I met for the first time. I feel good about gaining more direction from our chatting about the community and needs of their kids. I just so love the times I get to gather with people thinking about common goals to gain perspective and direction. Such meeting energize me and clarify my path.
Cheers, and I will speak to you soon!
I need to update you all on my very exciting summer plans!
kb

No comments:

Post a Comment