Friday 16 March 2007



Sweet Ella Claire is a-ok! The last couple weeks have been quite tumultuous with many phone calls and emails back home to check on this little one's health. She has been given a clean bill of health after the removal of her spleen which contained the mass, which the doctors have now determined to have been a birthmark. Strange, yeah? Yeah. Regardless, all is well with her, and she is back to running around like the goofball full of joy that she is! She will need to take a daily dose of penicillin for the next several years to help her body with immunities that her spleen would have normally taken care of for her, but aside from that, she is completely healthy!*(See below)
Thanks be to God, who is good...ALL THE TIME!

Life in a different country is a funny thing. Interesting how often I have to sort of remind myself that I live in England. Obviously, the accents, the public transport, the Union Jack flying remind me on a regular basis. However, it is amazing how we as humans adapt to our environments. Though I realize that I no longer live in the United States, life does not look all that different in London than it does in Fayetteville at base level. I asked my pal, Alix, yesterday if she thinks she is a different person here than she is in Texas. She thoughtfully replied..."Yes, and no...No, and yes". I laughed and smiled knowingly. Indeed.
Life for me looks much like it would/did at home. I just happen to be able to pop down to Big Ben if I would like on any given afternoon. I can go soak up the sun at Regents Park rather than at Gulley Park. I can sit in Trafalgar Square instead of the square in Fayetteville.
A strange thing happened when I moved to a new country. Feelings of loss of day-to-day interaction with great friends, feelings of excitement of new adventures and new relationships, feelings of disjointedness and awkwardness in new surroundings, feelings of absolute peace being where I am, while feeling a bit lonely for my old life...though knowing full well that I should not be in said old life anymore, feelings that I will never be the same, and I would never wish to be... (the longest sentence ever? quite possibly. But sometimes, a contant stream of thought necessitates a run-on sentence. Especially when grading is not involved.)
I love London. I cannot believe most days that I live here and feel so at ease. I am overwhelmed with thanksgiving.
I miss all of you who read this on a regular basis. I miss the fact that most of you know what bits of this monologue lead me to make certain expressions on my face. I miss the shared knowledge, experience, and laughter that I have with so many of you.
I say all of this not to make you feel sad or sorry for me. I wish to only let you know that I think of you all so often and you are in my prayers. Though I miss my dear friends, my friendship with the Lord continues to grow deeper, and He is faithful to teach me how to more deeply trust Him. I pray this for each of you...

"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."
(Eph 3.18-20)

On a much less deep note... Please do me the favour of going to see the Diamond Hogs play some baseball this season! I truly believe there is nothing quite as lovely as a Sunday afternoon at Baum stadium watching some Razorback baseball! Soak it up for me! : )

Word/phrase of the week: "winge", to complain or moan. "I suppose I should stop my winging. What good is it doing?" Just another word that I enjoy.

*Dad's update on Ella...
The growth in her spleen was a hemangioma. A hemangioma is a BENIGN growth basically of confused capillaries. If you have seen a person with a large red birthmark, usually on the head or neck, that is a hemangioma. They are not that rare. The unusual (but not unheard of) thing about this one was that it was internal and in her spleen. Though they had a couple more slides to examine, the pathologists are 99% sure that this growth was BENIGN!!!

Growths like this are typically without symtoms and discovered while checking something else. This was pretty much the case with Ella Claire. With trauma, these growths are often susceptible to bleed. As you know, trauma to the mid-portion of the body often results in damage to the spleen. This could have caused serious internal bleeding. So, finding the hemangioma and removing the spleen was a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment