Thursday 25 January 2007



Back from Munchen.
We had a great time in Starnberg, a town about an hour away from Munich. All of the international staff in Europe and beyond gathered for the YL European Winter Staff Conference. Our week was full of fellowship, learning, encouragement, and much laughter. I got to see old friends and make many new ones. I truly now can say that I have friends all over the world...from Japan to Madrid, from Munich to The Netherlands. It truly is encouraging and amazing to see how these friends are building relationships all over the world with kids. We went to eat a couple of nights at true Bavarian restaurants where the waitstaff donned true German dress from head to toe, did traditional dances, and played accordians and autoharps. This guy pictured with the accordian was a bit of a flirt, winking at any girl who would hold glance with him for longer than 5 seconds.
I am pleased to be home in England. I have no trips planned of any substantial length until April, so I look forward to staying close to home for a few months. As I had suspected, my arrival back to Londontown has brought me much more clarity and presence of mind...a more centered feeling. The staff conference brought great encouragement and provided a spring board into ministry for the semester. I look forward to doing a bit more exploration of this fair city so that I am more versed of its charms for when the guests start arriving which I hear will be soon.
Exciting news! I have mentioned our Service Project that we are taking in April with kids from all over Europe? I got my first sign-up yesterday! I am thrilled, and we are praying for nine more to decide to journey off to Sofia, Bulgaria with us. My brain is feeling dry of bits and pieces to report this day, so I will get back to you soon. I am out the door shortly to have my "induction" (walk around the facility to get acquainted with what it has to offer) to the leisure center I joined yesterday. Perhaps getting some treamill time will stimulate my thoughts, and I will report more this week. I have added a "subscribe" option to the top of my page for those of you that want a reminder or just a personal update of when I update. : )
Cheers for now,
kb
Word/phrase of the week: "homely", or what we would call "homey". I know. These two words appear to mean the exact opposite of each other, but this is why I felt obliged to share with you this definition. I was sharing with a friend how much "homier" my flat seems now that I have put up more pictures and decor when this word came up. She told me that someone here had come into her home and described its furnishings as "quite homely" in a kind, complimentary tone. She checked her immediate reaction of being offended and realized the meaning is different in England. : ) Funny. Oh, the Brits! I love the constant learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment