Thursday 5 October 2006

A rainy/cloudy Thursday here in the land of Eng. What? Ok, I am a bit odd today, I think. I could erase that sentence, but why would I? It is no secret that I am a bit odd. : ) No news about a flat as of yet. I have feelers out, so we shall see. Will let you know when I do have a spot to call my very own.
I met a girl yesterday, Mallory, who moved to London from Pennsylvania to go to grad school at Sotheby's. She wants to be a voulunteer leader with me as we work with kids who attend ASL. I am excited to have met her and to get to know her better. She will be here for at least a year finishing her schooling. I am going to meet another girl, Alix, for coffee today who I know also wants to volunteer. God is good...bringing excited believers around to join his work here in central London.
I don't believe I have mentioned as of yet my church visiting that I have been doing. I have spent time at both All Souls Church and Holy Trinity Brompton. Both churches are solid and uplifting. I am praying about which one to call my home. I am going to church this coming Sunday morning at All Souls and then afterward going to eat with a friend at one of the pastor's flats. What a neat opportunity to plug in a bit more to Christian community and fellowship. I am thankful.
As far as kids, adults, and ASL goes... I am making baby steps of progress in meeting people and building friendships. I am truly excited to get to know more of the community of St Johns Wood. I have joined the SJW Women's Club to help feel a bit more a part of that area. I look forward to plugging in there.
Ok, all mentioned up to this point has been a bit informational and factual, yeah? Wondering how I am in my transition?
All is truly well. I am getting a bit anxious to live within the city rather than on the outskirts so that I can truly dig into my new world here. However, this time in Surrey is a complete blessing as I get to know my fellow YL staff better, get to have a retreat away from the chaos that is central London, and save quite a bit of money by staying with my great pal, Kerry, for free. I am trusting that the Spirit will lead in the way of housing, connecting, and ministering. He knows the pace that is approprate for me and His work. Baby steps.
Riding the train to and from the city affords me much time for reading, an activity I dearly love. I so enjoy reading and have since I was very young, but unfortunately, I often do not take the time to immerse myself in books as I once did in those younger years. My mind feels a bit more active and alert if I keep myself concentrated on books and processing information. So, the Lord is faithful in all situations to bless. This extra time allows for deeper growth in that regard. : )
I am still working on the Skype access...calling for free through the internet. I will let you know when I know how to work that specifically so perhaps more of us could chat it up with a bit more ease.

Word/phrase of the week: rubbish (trash). Truly, this word is used in constant conversation and dialogue here. I have even heard the garbage man called "rubbish man". I love this word. It is so much stronger in meaning and with the right intonation is more passionate than using the word "trash". Check out Phillipians 3.8-9..."What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith." At HTB last week, the speaker focused on this passage. A smile spread across my face as he spoke and read this passage aloud. I just love words and the power they have...I tend to think God loves words and feels the importance of their meaning, as well. (By the way, HTB has a podcast you can download should you ever feel so inclinded.)

1 comment: