Thursday 28 September 2006


So, here is the proof about last week's mention about the Coca-Cola machine that greeted me with "Hallo" every time I walked past of asked it to dispense a diet beverage. For you boys, you know who you are, I thought of you and laughed every time I read it. Noone else seemed to be as amused, but when are others as amused as I am? Truly. I know you guys know the proper inflection to say this greeting in. Made me think of home, and I loved it! (By the way, I took this pic with my new snazzy new mobile (pronounced with a long "i") I just got. All those that have made fun of me for my archaic cell phones in the past would be amazed by how hi-tech I am now. : )
So, I ventured into the city yesterday to meet up with a mom who has kids who go to ASL. We had a delightful late morning chat with a coffee. We sat on the high street and spoke about life in that particular area of central London where I will be living. (Each area has what is called a "high street" where all the shops and cafes are, sort of like 6th street in Fayetteville...no, more like Dickson St. Very quaint and perfect for meeting up with people.) I got loads of info about how to get more connected with others in the neighbourhood, and I look forward to moving into that area. Still praying for a flat closeby. I have a few leads, but none have panned out for sure yet. Though St. John's Wood, the area I will be living in, is technically in central London, it has not the feel of Oxford Circus, Piccadilly, or Covent Garden does, for those of you who have made a visit here. It is quite peaceful with tree-lined streets. From what I have heard, Jude Law lives nearby, so you never know when he might be bumped into at the local Starbucks. I will keep you informed, no worries! : )
My trip to the city yesterday left my feet in agony! Note to self...regardless of the amount of walking that you think you will do, do not wear heels! Walking is always a major player no matter where you are going for no matter what length of time! I have blisters galore all over my feet from trekking about London. I had to "pop into a shop" to buy some ballet-like flats to soothe. I also had to make a stop at Boots (similar to Walgreens) to buy "plasters" (a.k.a. Band-Aids) to cover my wounds to make it home. I mean...serious pain. But, hey, in the words of my pal, J.D., I'll bounce. : )
Liz, Paul, and I sort of wandered around the city on Tuesday afternoon. It was quite fun. Liz loves to absorb and share lots of random trivia, show me where the cheap places to shop are, and points out great cookie shops. Paul is Captain History, so he tells us factoids about how old buildings are, how to find our way around the city, and knows where the cool museum exhibits are. What a nice balance they are for one another. Guess this is why they are a couple. Liz, just in case you are in the dark, is a fellow staff girl who works at an international school in Hillingdon closeby. I will post some pictures from our time soon. Sorry that my pictures seem to be on average one post behind. Sometimes this site doesn't like to cooperate, and sometimes, I don't have the camera/plug with me to coordinate the download. (Yes, I just thought of "Boomerang" when I wrote that word..."coordinate". Oh how hideous that mushroom suit was! And oh, how beautiful at the same time!)
Today marks my two week anniversary of having been in England. Frankly, it seems like 2 months in some ways. I feel as though I could write a page in my journal about every hour because all is new and many "firsts" are happening.
Things I love... water bottles with cool squeeze tops; sitting on the left-hand side of the car as a passenger; saying "I'll ring you later"; that my staff team all put on their hog noses I brought them as soon as I handed them to them...then began to cough from the fumes emitted from the rubber and paint (truly, ever worn one of those? will make you high!); walking on cobblestone roads; recognising and confidently using pounds and pence; calling carry out or to go food "take away"; the mystery of walking through the city, riding the train, or riding the escalator in the underground and wondering what accents people speak with and thinking they don't know what mine sounds like either; going to a YL staff training in Munich and having a fellow staff member sneakily change my ringer to his voice that said "Pick up the phone! Do it!" and not knowing he had done it until my phone scared the living daylights out of me when it rang the first time after returning back to England...
Things I miss... you all; Pepperridge Farm Goldfish; driving my car (though not as much as I would have thought); you all.
As you can see, much more that I love than I miss. God is good! He is so taking care of me! Thanks, friends. More soon...
kb
Oh, I've almost forgotten...
Word/phrase of the week: "lorry" (truck), as in... Lorry Restriction on this road. Zsa told me a story about a car that she happened upon that was smashed between two "lorries". She could not imagine how the people got out. Perhaps through the sunroof. Thanks be to God for Zsa, who in normal conversation teaches me several new words a day!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog makes me happy! Had bangers and mash yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Londoner you...keep the updates rolling. Jealous in the states.

    ReplyDelete