Saturday 22 July 2006

"Hold a true friend with both your hands." * Nigerian Proverb
"There are no such things as strangers, only friends we haven't met yet."
-- Anonymous

Friends are my favourite. I know that this truth is what causes me to have such devotion to the fifteenth chapter in the book of John in that wonderful ancient manuscript full of faith, hope, and love.
One of my pals, Michelle, told me last weekend that she loved hearing me talk about my friends and the way they bless me so deeply. She said she was amazed by all the sweet, deep, and memory-filled relationships I am privileged to have in my life. I have known this fact, but it was so great to hear her perspective and see her smiles mixed with tears as she truly felt the love and appreciation I have for my friends. I must say here that Michelle is one of the most caring people I have encountered. I saw this lived out as her tears came in conjunction with my own. What a heart she has been given!
I had a great week of spending time with several of these dear people in my life. I went back to Fayetteville for a few days to have some meetings over quite a few meals. How could it get any better? Friends, food, and fellowship. Love it!
I chatted with current friends and met a few new ones. Each one blessed me in their excitement for my upcoming move to do ministry. Oh how I need all of you desperately to go do what I am about to go do. (Look for the next blog to address just this topic. Thanks, Ryan.) Thanks to you all that took the time to chat with me, share meals with me, and care about me!

My friends Matt and Ginny had their precious baby boy, Eliot Hartman, on Thursday! You can check out their website for more info on them...such a beautiful story of God's peace in the midst of difficulty, confusion, and unanswerable questions. The Lord is the giver of peace and hope. I have never in my life seen such an instance of the fleshing out of this verse: "And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear." (1 Cor 10.13) Their story of the life of Eliot is not one of temptation, but one of the Lord's faithfulness to not give them more to deal with than they can handle. His faithfulness is present obviously in His gifts of peace, joy, hope, and thankfulness for their firstborn little boy. Their burden has been taken on by Him to enable them to "bear" life in the midst of uncertainty. I am thankful to be able to call The Mooney three my dear friends! www.mattandginny.blogspot.com
My trip back up to the ville to see Baby Eliot provided me a sweet opportunity to reunite with some friends from college. I was afforded the gift of hearing "the rest of the story", if you will, from one of these friends I traveled with about quite a story that I was on the periphery of in my last year or so of collegiate life.
The Lord provides such unexpected blessings sometimes! I love His surprises. It is as if He knows how much I enjoy being surprised. Go figure. : )
Touched. Inspired. Filled with respect. Humbled. Grateful. Honored. Thankful.

People are beautiful...such dynamic beings who fall, have victory, make mistakes, rise above those mistakes, provide insight, teach through their stories, set examples, know their limits, forget their limits, live in pride, get reminded to be humble, get lost, are found, do things that are not the greatest, apologize, show love ... (the list goes on and on)
I believe so much of my affection for hearing others' stories of redemption lies in my own undeniable need for redemption. I believe it is no coincidence that Jesus used the model of "story" to share His good news.
Effective. Touching. Inspiring. Practical. Intentional. Relatability.

Relation: an aspect or quality (as resemblance) that connects two or more things or parts as being or belonging or working together or as being of the same kind. (Webster, of course) Makes sense to me. Relationship: the state of being in "relation".

I adore being educated by others. I long to listen and be sensitive to not miss chances to hear. May the windows continue to open, so I may continue to have a peek into "real" life lived out by my friends (current and future).

No comments:

Post a Comment