Thursday 31 December 2020

bonne année.

 

something about this photo strikes me as I think of the start of a
new year.

a pathway.

...a bridge over water whose level varies from hour to hour throughout each day.
...a portion is flat requiring little attention while another section calls for a need of focus to keep from potential injury.
...well-built but under extreme conditions more than likely not indestructible. 

at school, I find my eyes lighting up when I have opportunities to spend my time intentionally helping to teach social emotional learning (SEL).  after a long fought battle, funding was found this year to purchase a curriculum which contains such approachable, insightful, and profound lessons to use with our students. one approach used is entitled "picture prompts".  
the teacher projects an image (such as the one above) and asks the students who might like to share.  
no directions.  no questions.  
simply, "would anyone like to share?"
I love this activity.  
it opens up the space for anyone to feel, see, think, observe whatever he or she does in that moment.  
all answers are correct.  
all.
answers.
are. 
correct.

how often in life when asked a question, whether outright in a conversation or within an experience which needs to be sorted out, do we feel like our answer is 100% correct?  
that we need not prepare for the "test" or work to anticipate the response of the other?

as I look up from my screen and stare into the distance to ponder this question for myself, I can think of very few moments.  in fact, maybe collectively only in one true moment...
a space designated as safe by the people in its midst.  
a space decided to be one filled with acceptance and unconditional love.

this picture prompt activity is set up to allow students to have at least one space like that during their day.  a space where he or she can be listened to and heard, hopefully even appreciated for their unique perspective or personal insight.  
in my mind the more we experience these moments where we are celebrated for who we are and what we experience, whether the others in the space agree with our views or not, the more confident we become in our own value and significance.
the more we are able to breathe into who we are and how we were made.  

I do not want to erase 2020.  my life was also deeply enriched during this past year in the midst of such loneliness, hurt, sadness, frustration and loss.  
that being said, I do hope this year is better than our last one.  
the awful has been immense.

may we continue to support one another by listening and being as present as possible.






happy new year.

cheers,
kb.

No comments:

Post a Comment