Wednesday 6 June 2012


I find myself thinking of this place this week more than usual.  yesterday, the 4th of june, was the third anniversary of my leaving this city I called home for three years.  I have now been back in the States as long as I lived abroad.

odd.
as most of you know I am certain if connected to the outside world, jubilee celebrations have been under way lately in london, and this lovely city will also, in a short while, be host of the 2012 olympic games.  exciting times in my fair metropolis across the pond.
I miss it.
I will always miss it.

a friend asked me yesterday, when I told of my anniversary:
"so, do you feel wiser?", a bit jokingly.
after a bit of thought, I replied, "hmmm...not really.", in an matched tone of jest.
(mostly to get a laugh from my audience and to avoid sounding...well, pompous, I suppose.)
it was not a moment for narrative but a moment of quick answer.

if I am completely honest, I do feel a bit wiser.  but not because I lived in this lovely land abroad.
not because of anything to do with me and my keenness or intelligence.
london is, indeed, lovely, but as much as I adore and miss said locale, it is not magical.
God is good, intentional, and sovereign.
london was a place I struggled, lived, and learned, but it is only a place.

sometimes I have to be reminded of this above fact as I have a bit of a romantic side (to say the least).
times such as this anniversary find me all the more idealistic and swimming in the pool of fondness.
God is good, intentional, and sovereign.
it is important for me to keep perspective clear.

oh how changed I am and how more who I am meant to be since my time lived in londontown.
so, this week, I reminisce.
this week, I am thankful.
this week, I remember.
thanks be to God.

cheers,
kb.

4 comments:

  1. I think this comment...."God is good, intentional, and sovereign.
    london was a place I struggled, lived, and learned, but it is only a place." can be reflective of not only places we've lived but struggles we've been through, relationships, basically anything in life. Such wise words and so perfectly put my friend. I think God wants us to be able to say this about everything He allows us to go through, deal with, experience...I struggled, I lived, I learned, I grew, Im changed and God is still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm...amen.
    thank you, beth. such an encouragement you are to me, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have been watching the jubilee celebrations too- makes us miss london and we were only there for a short jaunt. i can only imagine how much you miss her! what an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing in my love, jesse.
    I hope you had a fantastic anniversary and birthday! so fun that they are only a day apart. celebration galore! :)

    ReplyDelete