Friday 30 March 2012

last week:  laura and me.

so last week I went skiing.  why is this noteworthy, you might think, as I live in colorado (and have done for almost 2 years now)?  well, those two days I spent on the slopes happen to be the first two I have experienced since my move to the rocky mountain region.  actually, those two days were the first venture onto skis in some 8 or 9 years.  and, this trip was the first time I have been with friends and not with young life kids.  I went down more runs in the first morning than I did in the whole of the three day trips I took back then, I am certain.  I spent more time then trying to find my girls or standing in the line at the ski rental to rent an additional pair of skis for one of my girls who somehow only got ONE of her skis on the bus when told to load up at camp for the slopes.  how is it possible to not notice you got two poles and only one ski?
oh, megan...  makes me laugh remembering.

  my girls and I on my that last yl ski trip I took, years ago...
(from left to right- therese, MEGAN, me, sara, and ellen.)

I would not have traded a minute of those yl trips, from bus ride to colorado to bus ride home to arkansas, sweetness abounded.

skiing with focus on my surroundings and my skill (elementary, as it may be) was a nice experience, though.  spring is the time to ski, in my opinion.  I would have like to have a bit more powder and less icy conditions, to be sure.  but, my word, the weather was gorgeous.  (and no worries of icy roads to navigate to get to the mountain...a major bonus!)

I felt like I was in a picture that a small child had drawn...
the sky was the bluest, truest blue.
the evergreens were ever so green.
the clouds puffy and simpson-like.
the sun illuminating the snow to make it pristinely white.
crisp, cool air that only the mountains can provide.

a lovely time, all in all.

so, the first picture shows another encounter of delight I happened upon while on the mountain.
my friend, laura, who I used to work with years ago at an advertising agency in arkansas, happened to be at monarch with her kids' youth group for spring break.
laura is one of those friends who is simply fun.  she is full of joy and life.  she and I can sit and chat about real things and nothing at all for hours.
she makes me laugh.  oh, how she makes me laugh.
we always pick up right where we left off regardless of how much time has past.
delight!

hope your weekend is joyful with fun friends and laughter.  I know I can never get enough.
cheers,
kb.

No comments:

Post a Comment