Friday 20 January 2012


on tuesday, I will return to "the most magical place on Earth".  
I went to disney world for the first time with my mom, dad, and older brother when I was around seven.  I remember little other than wearing a red poncho the greater part of the week and eating ice cream on a stick in the shape of mickey mouse.  
(sidenote:  I am so thankful for my family who loves acting like kids.  chad and heather (my brother and sister-in-law) went to disney world every year in the early years of their marriage.  they have pictures of the two of them with mickey and minnie dressed in literally every outfit that exists in every "land" within the disney world parks.  I do not exaggerate with this statement.  the photo albums are hilarious, and they look ridiculously happy, arms swung around the two plush characters.  
they were at disney world on sept. 11th and had to be evacuated, actually.  eerie.)

thankfully, the mission of young life is 1. staff-wise, way too big to gather at any other venue other than a place las vegas (and I do not see that ever happening.) and b.  clearly injected with fun at its core.  
next week marks the third venture to the young life all staff conference for me.  I feel blessed to have been invited to attend in what will be three distinctly different divisions...mississippi valley (field staff in arkansas), international north (field staff in london), and now colorado camping (property staff at trail west lodge).  somehow in all my stints on and off staff, I have managed to be ON when one of these massive events rolls around.  

ok, to the fun.  the above photo was snapped by a friend 4 years ago.  clearly, you can see the utter childlike joy that I am in the midst of as I spin ridiculously fast on the tea cups.  yes, the tea cups.  
on the inside, I am 6 years old.  I would so prefer to spin than to drop.  roller coasters?  sometimes.  
I close my eyes the entire time.  I think the drop portion is just a bit too realistic, like turbulence in an airplane.  
how often do you spin like a maniac in real life?  it just makes you dizzy, and you cannot help but laugh.  pure joy.  I also have a special skill for maximizing the spin.  (we all have gifts.)  

much talk in the office this past week about how we feel about the upcoming florida time.  anxiousness hovers over the sheer amount of people who will all be in the same space, roughly 4,000.  excitement ensues about reuniting with old friends.  eagerness and anticipation co-mingle for warm weather and relaxation.  
I feel all of the afore mentioned, to be sure.  not to mention the prospective giddiness involved in more tea cup spinning...

as I ready by packing my luggage this weekend, I strive to unpack my brain, so full of all expectations, hopes, and potentials.  my sweet friend, clare, made a poignant statement in regard to this gathering the other night (thanks to carls for sharing it with us)... 
"what we know we can count on is for God to show up."  
so rooted in truth is that statement.  so my prayer for this next week at our "celebration" is one of expectation to be aware of Presence.  
perhaps, this week will help deepen said awareness in day-to-day life, as well.  

here's to warmth, laughter, being 6 years old, and breathing deep!
cheers,
kb.

No comments:

Post a Comment