Friday 13 July 2018

presence.

today, I had breakfast for lunch at the adorably endearing caffe and wine bar around the corner from my apartment.  it feels like you are sitting at a sidewalk café in europe.
my heart is happy there.
they serve coffee so hot, you have to wait to drink it.  if they bring you milk to put in it, as I always ask for, the milk is heated up.  if you order sparkling water or soda, they ask if you would like them to pour it for you.  they care not how long you sit and eat your food at your leisure.
my heart is happy there.
so, this afternoon, as I sat feeling light, looking at the tree-lined streets of my neighbourhood with eyes that felt clear and sharp like I had just put in a fresh pair of contact lenses, I read a book about emotional agility.  I am taking an elective this summer semester in grad school on mindfulness, essentially the choice to live in the present moment with acceptance and kindness, so I do find myself being more aware of my surroundings than I have in recent months.  I am thankful to be reminded to do something I feel I have an instinctual (both by nature and by excellent mentoring over the years) tendency toward.
perhaps some of this practice is, indeed, seeping into my daily life.

ok, that is a long preface to get to the point of this story.
shocking, I know.  :)

as I finished the last bites of my divine bagel sandwich, a couple walked out of the caffe.
I did a double take and tried not to gawk.
this couple was familiar to me.
I do not know their names, but I certainly knew their faces and had seen them before.

earlier in the week, I tried a new coffee shop a few miles down the road.  I adore coffee shops, and finding the spots where I can take my computer to work on homework, people watch, read a book, or all of the above, is always on the top of my list of favourite things to do, especially when I move to a new neighbourhood as I have done recently.
this coffee shop is in an odd spot attached to an office building, not exactly an easy find.  I drove past it even using my GPS the first time.

as I sat trying to force myself to focus on getting work done, a couple came in and sat next to me.
I remember being a touch annoyed, wondering why they needed to sit so near when there were a  number of empty tables elsewhere that did not seem to invade my space.
quickly my disdain turned to delight as I listened to the two giggle at one another as they spoke.  she brought him a gift of cookies which she gave him nervously.
he giggled and thanked her acknowledging a previous conversation that led her to buy them for him.
I tried not to draw attention to myself or to eavesdrop impolitely.  their interaction was lovely.
they inspired me to write...

a couple sits to my left in a new coffee shop find.
they giggle at each other which exhibits a contagious spirit of all things kind.
at a glance they appear an odd match, if on a date they happen to be,
then again, who am I to decide who should be a "we".
she gave a gift to start.
he shared SNL parodies which certainly are filled with art.
the joy makes my eyes smile,
as I have not observed others in a while.

this SAME COUPLE walked out of my favourite caffe this morning!
the.
SAME.
COUPLE!
I had to suppress my grin and try not to stare.  she held a gift bag which I can only assume was a reciprocation of the gift she had given him earlier in the week.  they were smiling fondly at one another as they chatted on the sidewalk before hugging goodbye.
I couldn't believe it.
I still cannot believe it.
I feel like I have gotten the privilege to witness a bit of their friendship, and it makes my spirit smile.

you never know what you might notice if you
choose.
to.
notice.

happy friday, friends,
kb.


No comments:

Post a Comment