Sunday 28 June 2015

stay clear.

photo courtesy of jamesnord.com
two words that a friend, a handful of years ago, gave me.
words that help me frame health and happiness.
believe me, it takes intentional, mindful effort for me to live life "clearly".
oh, the constant mind activity...

with all the life noise, both productive and detrimental, a decision must be made to stay present and awake, not getting caught up in the tornadic activity which swirls about me.

so many notebooks, blank notecards, and journals surround me...in my bag, next to my bed, stacked on my bookshelves...all there at the ready to catch my thoughts and experiences when they overflow.
[sidenote:  if you are a thinker and do not keep some sort of written account of life, I would highly encourage you do so.  goodness, the catharsis that can be found with that pen and paper.]
my grandmom used to tell me in the midst of all my adventures to make sure and
"jot it down."

years ago, during my time at home in london, a high school friend of mine wrote these words during a time we called "blender questions"...
"what should I be living for/working toward?"
profound.
honest.
what I hope is an ever present thought and mindfulness.


When Chase was eight, a woman approached us at the grocery store and said, 
“What a handsome boy! What do you plan to be when you grow up, young man?” 
Chase looked at her and said, 
“I plan to be kind and brave, ma’am."
- Glennon Melton (via nsana)


what a lovely answer.

my friend, sarah, always asks people "what are you passionate about?" in the conversational space when we would normally ask, "and, what do you do?".
I so prefer this question.  it encourages conversation and connection.  people light up from the inside when you ask them to share about what they love.

may we strive to stay clear about what is important.
may we see people as people.
may we appreciate and be thankful for grace and mercy, as we all desperately need both.
may we be about being kind and brave people, as both of these traits can only help make the world a bit better.

cheers,
kb.

No comments:

Post a Comment